Governance - Our Board & Membership
About the Board
Gurriny Yealamucka Health Services is an Incorporated Aboriginal Association under the Aboriginal Councils and Associations Act 1976 and is accountable to its members (see information Become a Member of Gurriny),
Since its inception the Board of Directors has actively developed the organisation to become the lead health agency in Yarrabah.
Chair - Leslie Baird
Director - Rob Giason
Director- Sandra Houghton
Director - David Baird
Director - Elisa Lively
Director - Linda Sexton
Director - Ross Maloney
Director - Justin Scheldrake
Company Secretary -Tamilyn Brennan
Strategic Plan 2018-2021
It is important for the Board and the organisation to understand what success looks like and this is managed through the Strategic Plan which began implementation in March 2018 and is overseen by the Board and implemented by the Chief Executive Officer . Annual reviews are undertaken with successes measured against National Health Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and amended accordingly. While striving for this we also value community engagement, community ownership and sustainability.
Priorities for the next 12 months are:
- Major development of a new outreach clinic on Workshop Street
- Addressing social determinates through a health lens as part of Yarrabah Leaders Forum
- Continuing to execute the strategic plan.
Become a Member of Gurriny - and have your say!
As a member, you can have a say in who is elected to the Board of Directors and their accountability in the delivery of services to improve the health and wellbeing of the Yarrabah community.
Membership is free and open to those over 18 who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and normally reside in Yarrabah.
- Nominate to become a Gurriny Board Member
- Vote in a Board Member
- Attend, speak, vote and put forward resolutions at the Annual General Meeting and special general meetings
- Ask Board Members to call a general meeting
- Look at Gurriny's books and records (at the discretion of the Board).
As the community controlled health service in Yarrabah Gurriny's mission is to lead the advancement of equitable health outcomes for the people of Yarrabah.
Gurriny will "Close the Gap" through progressing quality healthcare services that are underpinned by gold standard governance and business practices;
1. To increase and maintain the health standards of people in Yarrabah and surrounding areas by delivering a service through the governance and management of an Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service; and
2. In partnership with Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service (CHHHS) develop a capacity building infrastructure that supports Gurriny incorporate primary health care as the major foundation to serve a multi-purpose community controlled health service.